The Commission functions under the administrative control of the Govt. of West Bengal in the Department of Personnel & Administrative Reforms.
The functions of the Commission include:
- i) To select persons for direct recruitment the posts and services in the State Govt. establishments under Gr. B and Gr. C categories
- ii) To hold Departmental examinations for promotion to the categories of posts under Gr. B and Gr. C.
- iii) To hold periodical Typing Test in English and Bengali on computer.
- iv) To give advice to the State Government on such matter as may be referred to it.
- v) Such other functions as the State Govt. may by Notification specify.
vi) The Commission shall not select persons for direct recruitment to the posts or services which are :
- a) Required to be made through Public Service Commission;
- b) Filled up from the candidates belonging to the exempted categories which has been declared or is declared by the State Govt. by Notification issued in exercise of the power conferred by section 3 of the West Bengal Regulation of Recruitment in State Govt. Establishments and Companies and Local Authorities Act, 1999;
- c) Excluded from the purview of it by the State Govt. by Notifications.